Connecting Generations Through Free Technology Workshops

Technology is advancing at breakneck speeds, and every day more people are falling behind the learning curve. Eight out of ten older adults indicate needing some assistance using a new device. Even the typical smartphone user only knows how to use 5% of the device’s function! The lack of understanding and comfort with technology creates a sense of isolation for older adults and creates a barrier for younger generations to access the wisdom of older generations.

However, these same technologies can ease the process of aging immensely by keeping older generations connected, independent, and curious.

Matt Isola, a master’s student studying strategic communication design at CU Boulder sees this as an opportunity to connect generations through workshops focused on making technology easier for everyone. He and a group of volunteer graduate students started a project called the Generation Exchange. In the last three months, they have held four free technology workshops. In the workshops older adults are paired one-on-one with patient volunteers who work through any questions they have about smartphones, laptops, or tablets.

The workshops have proven to be mutually beneficial for the students and the participants. Older adults get valuable knowledge about technology while students are given the opportunity to make a difference and learn from the life experiences of those older adults. Ultimately, these interactions are challenging perceptions that separate generations.

Isola is actively seeking out partnerships with those who share the vision that intergenerational programs are instrumental in closing technological and generational gaps. He is in close talks with CU Boulder and the Flatirons Rotary of Boulder where he hopes to become the newest millennial Rotarian. For more information visit TheGenerationExchange.net, or email matthew.isola@colorado.edu/.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/126205/boulder-county-latest-news/connecting-generations-free-technology-workshops