Assistance League Scholarships

The Assistance League of Greeley, a non-profit community service organization, has awarded 14 scholarships totaling $48,000 to single parents attending either Aims Community College or the University of Northern Colorado. Recipients of the scholarship must maintain a 3.0 (undergraduate) 3.5 (graduate) grade point average, be a custodial single parent with child living in the home at Assistance League Awards $48,000 In Scholarships for individuals that work at least 50% of the time and be a resident of Weld County. Recipients are awarded scholarships to attend summer, 2013; fall, 2013 and/or spring, 2014. The following students from Aims Community and University of Northern Colorado were honored at a luncheon following the June meeting of the Assistance League of Greeley.Aims Community College students receiving the scholarships include Kelly Buechel, Erin Copeland and Prudence Gregg. University of Northern Colorado students receiving the scholarships include Donila Antuna, Susan Evans, Veronica Garren, Cynthia Gonzales, Kathleen Laurey, Shana Meerscheidt, Emily Russell, Victoria Russo, Stephanie Slaughter, Brooke Starr, and Helen Villarreal.Since the scholarship program began in 1991, the philanthropic organization has awarded single parent scholarships totaling over $550,000. Scholarship Funds are primarily raised through the all volunteer organization’s upscale thrift store, Bargain Box, located at 1706 9th Street, Greeley. Donations are accepted from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Monday – Friday and Noon – 3:00 p.m. on Saturday. An additional fundraiser, the Holiday Home Tour of six homes beautifully decorated for the holidays, is held on the first Saturday each December. The Assistance League of Greeley also supports Operation School Bell which delivers school uniforms to low-income students; distribution of magnetic File of Life folders for vital health information; Warm Up Weld County which provides blankets to low income families; Assault Survivor Kits with personal items for victims of sexual assault; Children in the Garden, a free educational experience for children ages 4-7 and G. M. Houston Gardens. For information about the Assistance League of Greeley or about the Single-Parent Scholarship, call (970) 353-2226.

Little About The Assistance League

Unlike most national charities, Assistance League focus is on local chapter needs first. Assistance League actually helps our volunteers realize their vision for their communities. And all funds they raise stay in those individual communities. So their dreams become our dreams. And together, across 120 linked chapters, we help people in need achieve a better quality of life.

Together we are Assistance League and we celebrate the power of the volunteer to evoke positive change in the world.

Winners of the Scholarships

award_winners

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/1653/weld-county-latest-news/assistance-league-scholarships