Cadet Community

Lace up your shoes, leash up your dog, and bring your friends to Auraria Campus to “Run, Rejoice, and Remember” this Veterans Day! The Cadet Community Leadership Association is proud to announce the 5th Annual Denver Veterans Day 5K! Hosted on Auraria Campus in downtown Denver on Saturday, November 9th 2013 at 8:00 AM. This race is open to participants of all kinds: competitive runners, joggers, walkers, stroller-pushers, weighted pack competitors, families…even pets!

The DVD5K is the City of Denver’s official Veterans Day events. Our race takes place in the morning on November 9th, and ends at the perfect time for participants and spectators to walk downtown for the start of the Denver Veterans Day Parade. This year, our race route includes both the sights of the Auraria Campus grounds as well as the beauty of Cherry Creek. The DVD5K is a very unique event. The race is organized BY the community, FOR the community, with the goal of bringing members of the Denver metro area together to “Run, Rejoice, and Remember” our nation’s Veterans.

Our event is 100% planned, organized, and managed by local college students and Army ROTC cadets, who volunteer time from their busy school study schedules to host this event for the community. Staff on race day include volunteers from the area, including Boy Scouts of America, Civil Air Patrol, and Young Marines. Now in its 5th year, the DVD5K originally began in memory of U.S. Army Captain Russell B. Rippetoe, a Broomfield native, who graduated from Metropolitan State University of Denver and gave his life in service to America during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

“We wanted a fun way to commemorate Captain Rippetoe and all the rest of our Veterans, so the DVD5K was born!” states Rob Bingham, the events Race Director. Funds collected through registration fees are returned to the community through donations to military & veteran charity organizations, such as Operation TBI Freedom and the Russell B. Rippetoe Foundation. So come out and join us bright and early on November 9th! It’s a great way to celebrate our nation’s Veterans with fellow citizens of your community. If you have any questions or would like to participate in this event in any way, please contact the Race Director, Rob Bingham at Paul Vendt Cadet Community Leadership Association Dvd5km@gmail.com 314.517.4821 

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/1866/denver-metro-latest-news/cadet-community