CU Boulder Theatre Presents New Adaptations and World Premieres This Fall

The University of Colorado Boulder theatre division kicks off its fall season with “Great Expectations,” a play adapted from the Charles Dickens novel of the same name. The season will also feature the world premiere translation of “Hecuba” from Roe Green Artist Diane Rayor, with mask work by Roe Green Artist Jonathan Becker.

Also on the fall calendar is a collaboration between the theatre and dance disciplines, “Next to Normal,” the Pulitzer Prize-winning rock musical about the collateral effects of mental illness.

The department presents two free productions this semester: “Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead” and “The House of Ramon Iglesia.”

Schedule:
• Great Expectations, Sept. 27- Oct. 7. Based on the famous Dickens novel, “Great Expectations” depicts the personal growth of an orphan named Pip in a memorable tale of crime, guilt, revenge and reward. “Great Expectations” is both directed and adapted by Professor Cecilia Pang.
• Next to Normal, Oct. 12-21. Theatre & Dance faculty and students collaborate on a Pulitzer Prize-winning rock musical that probes the reverberations of buried secrets from the perspective of a middle class suburban family. Master of Fine Arts student Marla Schulz directs and choreographs a cast comprised of musical performers from the Department of Theatre & Dance.
• Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead, Oct. 25-28. In this popular comic strip parody, CB and his friends struggle to find their identities after the death of everyone’s favorite cartoon dog. Tickets are free with a reservation
• Hecuba, Nov. 2-11. In this world premiere adaptation of Euripides’ bleakest drama, Hecuba, Queen of Troy, grieves her firstborn son killed in combat and exacts revenge as her daughter is sacrificed to appease the gods and honor her son’s killer This production is adapted by Diane Rayor and the mask work is by Jonathan Becker, both Roe Green Visiting Artists.
• The House of Ramon Iglesia, Dec. 6-8. The bond between sons and fathers is tested in this moving drama about two generations of immigrants as they confront living in a country that will never be their own. Tickets are free with a reservation.

For audiences interested in the classics or modern musicals, hiphop or contemporary dance—or perhaps a bit of it all—remarkable performances are the heart of Theatre & Dance. The cutting-edge works from faculty, guest artists and the stars of tomorrow appeal to all performing arts enthusiasts.

For more information visit: cupresentspr@colorado.edu/

Image credit: cupresents.org

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/265754/boulder-county-latest-news/cu-boulder-theatre-presents-adaptations-world-premieres-fall