Mental Health Help for Veterans

The CU Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora held its last lecture of this year’s Transforming Health Care series, an annual four-part event that highlights some of the many incredible advancements in health care taking place on their campus. Their November lecture featured a four speaker panel on “Serving Those Who Have Served: Veteran Care at CU Anschutz.”

The CU Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to caring for veterans who are struggling with traumatic brain injury (TBI), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression, and a host of other physical and mental conditions after returning from military service. According to their introduction of this series, the Anschutz medical faculty and clinicians are building a strong network of comprehensive veteran’s care in education and treatment programs.

Pictured (l-r) Dr. Vikhyat Bebarta, Dr. Jim Kelly, Dr. Heidi A. Tyrrell, & Dr. Mona Pearl Treyball

The four panel speakers included: Dr. Jim Kelly, MD, Executive Director of Marcus Institute for Brain Health & Professor of CU Dept. of Neurology; Dr. Vikhyat Bebarta, MD, Professor at CU Department of Emergency Medicine and CU Dept. of Pharmacology; Dr. Heidi A. Tyrrell, MD, Assistant Director, Heroes Clinic, Clinical Instructor of CU School of Dental Medicine; and Dr. Mona Pearl Treyball, PhD, RN and Professor of CU College of Nursing.

Their 2018 mental health patient forecast at Anschutz is expected to exceed 125 patients. They estimate an 80% success rate with their treatment programs after discharge from the Anschutz Medical Campus.

Dr Kelly explained his department handles the PTSD, TBI, Polypharmacy, and pain-suffering cases experienced by many returning military personnel and veterans. His department works closely with the VA Hospital located on the same campus. Many specialists include the neurologists, RNs (registered nurses), radiologists, psychologists, psychiatrists, case managers, and pharmacists in providing a comprehensive treatment program for the affected veterans. Depending on the illness, different treatments include mindfulness techniques, yoga, to more extensive therapies.

Dr. Bebarta was an Army trauma surgeon and experienced many cases of traumatic brain injury cases form combat service. He was associated with the Army’s Combat Research Center on treating TBI cases. His team focused on pre and post deployment of military service personnel. At the Anschutz campus, his team focuses on education and simulation training of new treatments through their Innovation Center.

Unfortunately, there is a high rate of suicides and opioid abuse with veterans and military personnel returning from service. His goal is to reduce the suicide rate by developing new therapies to prevent suicide and less dependence on opioids.

Dr. Tyrrell focuses on providing strong oral health for Colorado veterans. Oral health is key to having good health. Comprehensive care includes preventive and restorative surgery as needed for returning military or veterans needing oral health services at their CU Heroes Clinic. At the oral health clinic, they provide three pathway programs: 1) veteran transfers, 2) low income, and 3) 30% of all others needing oral help. They also partner with many local veteran organizations in helping veterans with oral health problems.

Dr. Treyball explained the nursing and education programs she has helped to create with the assistance of the total medical staff in treating veterans. Between 20 to 40% of their patients are treated for PTSD or other mental health problems. This is a growing national problem with an annual budget of over $200 billion per year.

With over 1200 medical facilities helping veterans, the VA treats about 109 million veterans annually. Nursing is a key component of the training for the nursing staff. They have developed multiple training programs from holistic to psychotherapy treatments. Her department created six online courses for BS, MS, and PhD degrees in nursing for helping veterans with mental health problems.

However, the sad fact is thousands of veterans and returning military personnel are not receiving needed mental health care and Anschutz and the VA are hoping to improve on this statistic with more outreach programs.

For more information on families or non-profit organizations helping veterans with mental health problems, please contact retired Army Staff Sergeant Spencer Milo, Director of Veterans Programs with the Marcus Institute for Brain Health at the Anschutz Medical Campus at 303-724-3473 or his email at spencermilo@ucdenver.edu.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/306355/denver-metro-latest-news/mental-health-veterans