Assistance League of Greeley Donates School Uniforms

As students began planning for their return to the classroom in August, the Assistance League of Greeley provided school uniforms to all the students in seven Title I schools in Greeley-Evans District 6. Dubbed Operation School Bell®, more than 3,500 students each received a pair of slacks and a polo shirt to start their year.

Photo cutline: Volunteers sorted 300 cases of school uniforms at the District 6 Warehouse in July.
L-R: Tom and Kim Barbour, JoAnn McGrath, and Kathy Hagihara

Operation School Bell® committee members sorted the uniforms for delivery to schools. COVID-19 precautions prevented volunteers from handing out the uniforms at the schools. Title I was a part of the  Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) signed into law in 1965 and was designed to provide financial assistance to local educational agencies for the education of children of low-income families.

Operation School Bell® is one of six philanthropic programs undertaken by the Assistance League of Greeley each year. Primary funding for the program comes from sales at the Bargain Box Thrift store, 1706 9th Street in Greeley. Other programs provided by the Assistance League include Single-Parent Scholarships for Aims and UNC students, Assault Survivor Kits® (given to Banner and UCHealth hospitals), Warm Up Weld (blankets and bedding), Color Me Weld (for children in area hospitals), and File of Life®, a medical document accessible to emergency responders.

New members are always welcome. For more information about the Assistance League and its membership, visit www.algreeley.org or call the store at 970-353-2226.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/369349/weld-county-latest-news/assistance-league-greeley-donates-school-uniforms