CU Anschutz Geriatrics & Aging Research Symposium

On October 26, the Multidisciplinary Center on Aging at the CU Anschutz Medical Center hosted their 2023 Geriatrics & Aging Research Symposium in the Donald Elliman Conference Center. Over 250 participants attended the all-day seminar. After breakfast, Outreach Director Jodi Waterhouse provided the welcome and opening remarks followed by many professors and department heads of their respective research fields.

Dr. Cari Levy

During the first hour, the guest speakers included Dr. Cathy Bodine, Director for the Center of Inclusive Design & Engineering, Dr. Alison Lakiin, RN & Associate Vice Chancellor for Regulatory Compliance, Dr. Janine Higgins, Vice Chair for Research, and Dr. Cari Levy, Head of Geriatric Medicine.

Dr. Wendy Kohrt

Dr. Wendy Kohrt, Director of Research provided the keynote presentation on Successful vs. Usual Aging: the Importance of Research in Defining the Goal. Wendy explained multiple theories of aging including stem cell research to cell delivery systems. Some anti-aging concepts included caloric restriction to overexpression of specific proteins, but none have proved successful. She explained 28% of women on menopause have a relative risk of cancer versus 5% having the actual risk.

The next round of speakers included Dr. Hillary Lum, Associate Professor in Geriatrics discussed giving support to dementia care partners, indicating well over 160,000 caregivers exist in Colorado. Dr. Kristin Pottast in Pharmacy, discussed using aspirin in older adults and what the research has shown, Dr Huntington Potter, Director of Alzheimer’s & Cognition Center, discussed over 6.2 million patients have Alzheimer’s and growing with life expectancy of 8 to 10 years after diagnosis, and Dr. Daniel Tollin, Professor of Physiology. discussed basic, clinical, and translational aspects of research in aging.

The Center gave the participants a demonstration of their different fields in hearing, neurology, aging, and a virtual dementia tour.

In addition, multiple aging demonstrations and a virtual dementia tour was provided twice during the seminar.
The lunch keynote speaker, Dr. Emmy Betz, professor of Emergency Medicine, who discussed firearm safety and prevention. She indicated 37% of older adults have firearms. In 2019, older adults over 65 years, 92% of 7,000 firearm deaths resulted in suicide. There is now a big push on firearm research and training for older adults.

After lunch, the participants received lightning round presentations with Dr. Jennifer Stevens- Lapsley, Director of Rehabilitation Science, explained her research in walking fast can predict mortality Dr. Dan Matlock Professor of Medicine, discussed shared decision making with older adults, Dr. Dana Carpenter, discussed improving mobility as we age, & PhD candidate Matthew Sergison, discussed how aging changes hearing
.
The final round of lightning round speakers included Dr. Al Bornno. Asst. Professor of Computer Science, discussed wearable technologies for treatment of neurological disorders, PhD candidate Bridget Hoag, discussed aging tissue decline involving cancer, Dr. Achim Klug, Professor of Physiology and Biophysics, discussed changes in the auditory brain contribute to hearing difficulties in noisy situations, and last Dr. Peter Pressman, Associate Professor in Cognitive & Behavioral Neurology, discussed artificial intelligence research in aging.

Overall, the all-day seminar was well received by the participants, who received a multitude of information on aging. Thanks to the staff at CU Anschutz for an excellent seminar!

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/508739/latest-news/cu-anschutz-geriatrics-aging-research-symposium