CU Opera Theater Singers Return To Aspen

CU-Boulder Eklund Opera graduate students present free annual concert and master class at Harris Hall

As part of its 3rd annual Aspen Outreach Tour, the Opera Theater Singers (OTS)—the outreach arm of the Eklund Opera Program at the University of Colorado Boulder—will present a free master class and concert at Harris Hall on Thursday, November 5.

“We’re very excited to return to Aspen,” says Leigh Holman, Eklund Opera Director, CU- Boulder College of Music. “This is a vibrant and cultured community of arts lovers and opera supporters, and we love to participate in that energy with our students.”

The current OTS roster comprises a select group of six graduate students—sopranos Meagan Mahlberg, Sara Lin Yoder and Ekaterina Kotcherguina, mezzo-soprano Rebecca Robinson, tenor Max Hosmer and baritone Joshua DeVane — who perform a broad repertoire of operatic, music theater, traditional and contemporary selections. Throughout the 2015-16 season, these up-and-coming singers perform statewide, as well as promote the Eklund Opera Program through outreach and education activities, and fundraising events. CU-Boulder Senior Instructor, Vocal Coach Jeremy Reger has been working with the group this fall to present an exciting program.

We have a strong alumni presence in Aspen, and this is one way to stay connected,” adds Holman, who founded the OTS program in 2009. Specifically, OTS will present to the Aspen Rotary Club on various topics—from opera performance to education and awareness — as well as conduct a master class for local high school students. “The master class is an opportunity for young singers to work with a professional pianist, and receive training from the best of our graduate and performance certificate students.”

And, according to OTS Music Director Joshua Horsch, the OTS concert at Harris Hall is not to be missed. “We programmed pieces that represent the greatest opera classics,” he says. “We also wanted to highlight some of our current season at CU-Boulder.” Program selections include pieces by Puccini, Verdi and Mozart.

Thursday, November 5, all events FREE and open to the public.
Opera Theater Singers master class, 3:30 p.m., Harris Hall, 960 North 3rd St.
Opera Theater Singers in concert, 7 p.m., Harris Hall, 960 North 3rd St.
Opera Theater Singers post-concert reception hosted by the Aspen Rotary Club, 8:30 p.m., Limelight Hotel, 355 South Monarch St. Note: The bar is open for OTS members and concert attendees only, closed to the public.
Opera Theater Singers master class with Aspen Choral Society, Handel’s “Messiah” Snowmass Chapel, Time TBD, 5307 Owl Creek Rd., Snowmass Village. Event free and open to the public.

Friday, November 6, FREE and open to the public.
Opera Theater Singers in concert, “Opera Night Off: An Evening with American Songbook Greats”, 7 p.m., Christ Episcopal Church of Aspen, 536 West North St.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/6203/boulder-county-latest-news/cu-opera-theater-singers-return-aspen