CU Denver Offers Retired Professionals a Semester on Campus on What’s Next?

Most people think of college as a place to go at the beginning of your career. The University of Colorado Denver is re-imagining it as a place for people at the end of their primary working years. The CU Denver Change Makers program brings experienced professionals who are approaching or already in retirement back to college for a semester to explore possibilities and renew their purpose.

Anne Button

A new life stage Longer lives have led sociologists to define a new life stage after the family-raising, profession-building
years. Yet careers are often still expected to end when people are in their 60s, with ripple effects on those in their 50s.
Now looking at retirement differently than previous generations, many people want something between the traditional choices of full-time work or full-time leisure.

Some need to continue earning a salary. Others are interested in giving back to their communities. Having had professional success and accumulated wisdom, they’re looking to make the most of their “longevity dividend.” A course designed to help navigate this new stage The Change Makers course, meeting twice weekly, includes guided cohort discussions, guest speaker seminars, opportunities to audit CU Denver classes, social events, and assistance identifying and finding a volunteer opportunity.

Change Maker fellows investigate areas of interest and growth and develop an actionable plan for using their wisdom in a new, fulfilling context. They’re making change – in themselves and in their communities. Currently accepting applications for the Fall 2023 inaugural program, beginning in August. Learn more about the program, including how to apply, at ucdenver.edu/change-makers. Questions? Email changemakers@ucdenver.edu.

Anne Button oversees the University of Colorado Denver Change Makers program as its founding director. Since 2022, she has had the privilege of working with CU Denver faculty and staff, as well as partners in the community, to develop this innovative program for adults in the second half of life to explore possibilities, retool, and renew their purpose.

This role builds on Anne’s 17 years of higher education experience, which includes having served as director of executive communications at both CU Denver and the CU Anschutz Medical Campus. Anne headed CU Denver’s initiative to become designated as an Age-Friendly University in 2022 and is currently chairing its Age-Friendly University operational committee.

Anne Button is the director of the Change Makers program at CU Denver. She can be reached at Anne.Button@ucdenver.edu.

Also view this “What’s Next?” video by 50 Plus on how other retirees have started new career and enjoying it!

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/489440/denver-metro-latest-news/cu-denver-offers-experienced-professionals-a-semester-on-campus-on-whats-next