CU Theatre Season Concludes With ‘Peter And The Starcatcher’

peter-and-the-starcatcher

CU-Boulder Theatre & Dance’s season closer offers adults a chance to embrace their inner creative child with performances of “Peter and the Starcatcher” by Rick Elice. The music-filled ‘Peter Pan’ prequel that played on Broadway to wide acclaim is an extravaganza of play-acting, pirates, touching moments and humor for all ages.

‘Peter and the Starcatcher,’ based on a best-selling 2006 novel, travels back to Pan’s early adventures in an orphanage, aboard a weather-beaten ship holding precious cargo, and on a magical remote island. The story takes theatergoers to golden grottoes, deep jungles and active volcanoes on adventures just as exciting as those in the classic story we all know and love.

Like ‘Peter Pan,’ it’s a classic coming-of-age story, filled with adventures, dreams, and commentary about growing up. But it’s not theater as usual. In ‘Starcatcher,’ characters often break the fourth wall to talk directly to the audience, and the scenes look more like they’re taking place inside a child’s bedroom rather than on a stage.

To elevate that sense of playacting, sound designer and undergraduate senior Bailey Trierweiler wanted to make sure all the sound effects in the first act came straight from the actors and the band rather than a sound system.

It’s safe to say playwright Rick Elice would be proud of these female students’ initiative and creativity. He and the original authors were intent on putting a powerful female character at the center of everything in “Starcatcher.”

Like the students involved in this production, Elice has found that living the best possible life involves keeping one’s childlike curiosity while experiencing very adult setbacks, both professional and personal. And to him, that’s what “Starcatcher” is all about.

Performances: Friday, April 14, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, April 15, 7:30 p.m.; Wednesday, April 19, 7:30 p.m.; Thursday, April 20, 7:30 p.m.; Friday, April 21, 7:30 p.m.; Saturday, April 22, 7:30 p.m.; Sunday, April 23, 2 p.m. Tickets for “Peter and the Starcatcher” start at $24 with student, senior and youth discounts available. To purchase tickets, visit the CU Presents box office in person, 972 Broadway, call 303-492-8008 during business hours or visit us online anytime.

Note: All online and phone orders are subject to a service fee.

This production is recommended for audiences aged 10 and older and may not be suitable for young children.

Permanent link to this article: https://www.50plusmarketplacenews.com/8814/boulder-county-latest-news/cu-theatre-season-concludes-peter-starcatcher